Monday, April 21, 2008

If you go too hard, you might make mistakes

This weekend I headed down to Socorro, NM for the Tour of Socorro Omnium (that means 2 races). Saturday was the XC race, and I of course was up against at least 2 women who sdhould have been racing expert. Such is the life in the Women's fields, most do not race enough to be forced into the right class by USAC, NMORS, or other riders. Regardless, we all know I am doing these races for experience and not to place. Its bad enough that the chances are high I will race too many of these and end up with the problem of possibly winning the darn series just because I have more points by being consistently 4th or 5th points-wise.
Anyway, there were 10 sport women, 5 of us age 35+ (relevant for the NMORS point series). Interestingly the second place woman is racing expert in the next event...hmmm... anyway... I was about 7-8 minutes of the 7th and 8th place riders (I was in 9th) and was finally warmed up and riding well come the second lap. I climbed better, I held better lines and was moving faster on the flats, downhills. I was pleased that I was going to finish the second lap in the same time or better than the first lap - when .6 of a mile from the finish, at the bottom of the very last downhill, I got too far forward and washed the front wheel out. I hit the ground like a ton of bricks and was so mad at myself I just hollered. Of course, not remembering there were others on the course, I think I gave they racer behind me a little scare with my outburst. he kindly pulled my bike off of me, as I had landed in the worst position possible. he wanted me to take a moment and regroup before I got up, but to no avail, I was up and walking it off as soon as he gave me a hand up. It was quite difficult to ride, the pain and cramping in my left thigh/hip area was nauseating, but ride I did, just really slowly now. I have some hella bruises and enough pain to think I actually was hit by a truck, but so as the life of one who makes such mistakes.
This 18 miles was far better than El Paso, and taking the crash out I was only 15 minutes behond the 2 riders in front of me. Now to figure out how to be 30 minutes faster so I can compete with these expert women in the sport class!!

2 comments:

ojulius said...

Nice job on the race!

Edward said...

Hey your due for a new post don't you think? Just checking in to say hi. Hope all is well!

On the Podium at 24HITOP

On the Podium at 24HITOP
I deserve that beer

First Lap 24 HITOP

First Lap 24 HITOP
Feeling good