Monday, September 29, 2008

How to kill a bike in a single ride

Here's how: Ride it through a downpour, complete with hail, in terrain that is composed prediominately with clay. Water and dry clay turn into something that will destroy parts of it within about 4 miles. Results guaranteed.
OK, I have to be a smart -a$$ because I'm really bummed, to say the least, about the condition of the Siren at the moment. After about 4-6 miles of riding in rain and some mucky conditinos, the rear tire side wall is bare to the threads. I have no idea how it did not totally give during the last few miles of the race. The rims (Stans 355) are worn clear through the anodized coating and down through the rest of the rim to the wear indicators. Of course brake pads are toast, but that is a cheap and simple fix. And there is a gritty sound that after hours of cleaning I have yet to locate, so I have to break the bottom bracket down, and try to check the hubs more closely. The bike, parts and all, has 56 miles on it.... that's it. Oh, and it's a singlespeed, so you would think there would be little to get jacked up in a ride in the rain and mud.

2 comments:

ojulius said...

I just don't ride my bikes in that kind of weather anymore, just because of that...it's just not worth it!

Bummer to hear that your first big ride on the new bike was a messy one...you'll get her cleaned up though! :)

Jen said...

Well, when rain comes in the middle fo a race and you are in the middle of a course, not near a bailout point, you have no choice. I agree I would not voluntarily have ridden in those conditions.

On the Podium at 24HITOP

On the Podium at 24HITOP
I deserve that beer

First Lap 24 HITOP

First Lap 24 HITOP
Feeling good