Thursday, May 7, 2009

Leading the Way

OK, I admit it, part of the reason I am racing Single Speed all year in the NMORS series is because few females race SS, so my odds of placing as well as winning the series are high. I also admit part of the reason why I race SS is because my ego likes getting the props for doing so from the racing community. I deny that I ride SS for any of the reasons that Jason Thorpe claims people ride SS (see Up Front of Mountain Bike Magazine, June 2009). In fact, I got lazy as a technical rider when I got on the full suspension bandwagon, and I also got extra soft...not having gears and only a suspension fork, has made me technically better each ride and not nearly as soft (although the Budah Belly still rules - because SS'ers appreciate good beer more than any other group outside of downhillers I think).
So the point is, yes there is a point here, I still would like to see more women show up riding SS at the short course races. The last three races I have done I have won - without challenge. Conversely, everytime I show up at an endurance event, the female SS competitionis deep and extremely tough. I have a long way to go to compete with those ladies, there's no getting around that (sigh, sound of a beer being cracked open). In fact I leave for the 12 Hours of Mesa Verde in the morning, and I know the female SS field will be deep enough I have not a chance, and I like that, because it gives me a challenge and gives me ladies to admire and to drive me in my training.
So how about it ladies, shed some gears and try the short course races 1x1, I promise to make you laugh at the starting line and share a beer at the finish.

No comments:

On the Podium at 24HITOP

On the Podium at 24HITOP
I deserve that beer

First Lap 24 HITOP

First Lap 24 HITOP
Feeling good